Tuesday, November 29, 2011

kinect 2

According to a report from Eurogamer, future Xbox consoles may come bundled with the powerful Kinect 2. The Kinect 2 is rumored to offer improved motion sensing, voice recognition, and be powerful enough to read gamers' lips.

It's also said the Kinect 2 will somehow be able to detect when players are angry by tracking the pitch and volume of their voices and their facial characteristics. Could this mean my Kinect 2 will now notice when I'm getting pissed off that my stupid panda from Kinectimals Now With Bears isn't reacting to me when I try to get it to climb trees?

The new and improved Kinect 2 will be able to do all of these funs things by dropping its current USB controller interface restrictions and increasing the bandwith between the Xbox and the motion sensor.

"When Kinect launched in November 2010 the depth sensor was set at a 30 frames per second limit and a 320x240 resolution limit. The issue relates to the USB controller interface, which is capable of around 35MB/s, but it only uses around 15/16MB/s," said Eurogamer. "This artificial limit is in place because multiple USB devices can be used at once on an Xbox 360. Kinect 2, however, can feed the next Xbox more information, and thus a higher resolution CCD [charge-coupled device]."

I think the Kinect 2 sounds like it will allow for a larger variety in motion sensing games, but I'm still not really on board with the technology. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I honestly still like sitting and playing games with a normal controller. We'll have to wait and see the Kinect 2 in action, hopefully during CES 2012 this year.
Are you excited for the Kinect 2 based on what you've read about the device so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment